Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Diaper Quest Part 2

So, I thought I should update my status on the whole cloth diaper bandwagon that I was on...to review, I made several cloth diapers in a few different styles hoping to succeed at one method or another.   If I had to grade myself on being green, I would have to give myself a C.  While I did save at least 2-6 disposable diapers a day from the landfill at first...I'm probably down to an average of using cloth only one day out of the week.
Before Libby was born,  I chose to make several "All In One" type diapers, 6 to be exact, and I bought 3(minus the one I lost due to it being placed on a teddy bear and thrown in a toy box), so I was working with 8 of those.  I made 12 prefold diapers, returned the Gerber plastic covers, bought 2 cute waterproof covers on "Etsy" www.etsy.com , and made 2 waterproof covers...they don't count because I made them too small. And I bought some "Snappis"on Ebay.  Lastly...I had a stash of disposables for night time, and the occasional outing.
THIS IS HOW THE COOKIE CRUMBLED, SO TO SPEAK:
First of all, I used disposables given to me at the hospital and brought the rest home, so I thought I should use them(this was the first concession I made).  After that,  I immediately went through half my supply of cloth diapers in rapid succession before I decided to start alternating between cloth and disposable (this was the second concession).  When baby was all of 2 months old...she had completely outgrown the waist size of all of my diapers and covers...so for a week, I considered myself a failure and relied completely on disposables.  After I bought diapers for both of the little ones on the same day, and stewing about the idea of spending nearly twenty dollars on stuff you throw away, I had an epiphany! Make extender tabs for the cloth diapers and you can still use them, dummy! (on a side note, I do not like buying trash bags because you just throw THEM away...but I haven't had any epiphanies on that one, yet.)
THE VERDICT
 I keep forgetting to take the extenders off the All in ones before I throw them down the laundry chute, I keep misplacing the snappis to clasp the prefolds, and every now and then a cover goes MIA...when these things happen I default to the Pampers.  Libby is almost 5 months old now and I have not mastered any single diapering method.  As a matter of fact, I prefer disposables, but my conscience and my budget keep me in the game. :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment